Nordic Ski Team
Mission: BNST’s mission is to provide racing opportunities, coaching and support for high school and middle school Nordic (i.e. cross-country) skiers in the Greater Madison area. Our goals are to prepare athletes to perform their best, to foster a positive team ethic and to cultivate life-long interest in Nordic skiing. Our team includes skiers from grades 5 – 12, of all abilities. BNST’s skiers can also try the sport of biathlon at Blackhawk, which hosts the only youth biathlon program in Wisconsin.
Practices are normally at Blackhawk Ski Club, which provides our primary training facility, snowmaking, grooming and winter safety. BNST occasionally trains at other local trails and facilities, especially in the pre-season. The team competes in approximately ten events in the Wisconsin Nordic Ski League each year, mid-December through early March. Race participation is optional, but encouraged at all skill levels!
High School Team (grades 9-12):
- Dry-land training starts November 1st, and takes place 4 days per week (Saturday mornings plus three weeknights from 5:15-6:45pm, locations and days TBA).
- On-snow training starts ~ December 15 and takes place Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 5:15 – 6:45pm at Blackhawk Ski Club.
Middle School (grades 5-8):
- Optional dry-land training starts November 1 for returning skiers only, and takes place 2 days per week (Saturday mornings plus one weeknight from 5:15-6:45pm, locations TBA).
- Dry-land training starts December 1 for all MS skiers, on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:15 – 6:45pm at Blackhawk Ski Club.
- On-snow training starts ~ December 15 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:15 – 6:45pm at Blackhawk Ski Club.
Program Fees: $300 for Middle School/ $400 for High School. All skiers must provide their own boots and are encouraged to provide their own skis and poles. However, returning skiers may rent skis and poles for a fee of $100. First-year skiers can borrow equipment for free when the season begins.
Registration: Participants must be members of Blackhawk Ski Club, either unlimited or limited facility membership.
NOTE: BNST registration is now closed for the 2017-2018 season.
For further info, race schedule, and instructions for joining BNST, please click here.
For news and pictures, find us on Facebook (Blackhawk Nordic Ski Team).
Questions? Email team manager Carol Barford at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Blackhawk registration portion (www.blackhawkskiclub.org) begins September 11, 2017 (returning members) and September 25, 2017 (new members).
General Blackhawk XC questions can be directed to email@example.com.