Ski jumping in Madison dates back to the 1920’s when Scandinavian students at the University of Wisconsin constructed a ski jump on Muir Knoll (Observatory Drive). In the early 1930’s Dr. H.C. Bradley took the lead in raising funds to construct a steel ski jump scaffold on the Muir Knoll site.
At about the same time “Doc” Bradley erected a small steel starting scaffold for a ten meter junior ski jump on land he owned just east of the Shorewood Hills grade school. On Sunday mornings in the 1940’s “Doc” Bradley, his wife, family members and friends would hold informal ski jumping competitions for an assortment of youngsters, students and members of the UW Hoofers Ski Club. “Doc” usually had a handful of ribbons to distribute to the winners.
By 1946 and 1947 with the return of servicemen from World War II, there were 40 to 50 Madison area ski jumpers using the 30 meter Muir Knoll ski jump. Interest developed in finding a larger hill and building a 60 meter ski jump that would permit jumps 200 feet in length. This resulted in the formation of the Blackhawk Ski club as a non-stock, not-for-profit corporation in 1947. In 1948 the club purchased a 32 acre site west of Middleton for the construction of a larger ski jump.
Over the years adjacent parcels were obtained and the club now owns 60 acres devoted to alpine and cross country skiing, ski jumping, biathlon, mountain biking and multi-discipline athletic training.
On June 07, 2002 Blackhawk was determined to be a 501(c)(3) corporation by the Internal Revenue Service. Our Purpose is to develop and promote youth sports in the Madison area. Donations to Blackhawk are tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law.